Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Confession

I went to confession today because my heart was heavy. Even though I just went to confession three days prior, I just knew that my sins were getting in the way of my Holy Week (I don't know that right word, but this one definitely doesn't cut it) experience. So 11 priests were at holy family for  penance service and the priest that I went to was from St. Dominic's, my old parish.

When he gave me absolution, I felt the burden lift from my shoulders "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light" All this pain and suffering from sin that I can endure or try to endure constantly brings me to my knees at the foot of the cross. Just as Christ will take up His cross in obedience to the Father, I must take up my cross, or be " like Simon, the Cyrenian, or the repentant thief crucified."

He told me something along the lines of "I have given you absolution. All of your sins are destroyed into oblivion. God has given you the grace to help you overcome all your sins.." and I forgot the rest. Darn you, dementia!

I'm sitting in my pew doing my penance (reflecting silently on everything he's said) and I say a Hail Mary. Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee... and I stop. And I realized something-- the reason why Mama Mary was able to overcome all of her ordeals - the fear of being stoned when she was with-child, remaining pure and holy throughout her life, watching her own Son die on the cross - it was all because she was full of grace. She was covered by the grace of God.

And why shouldn't she be? After all, she was the Mother of God! Why would a sinful person give birth and raise the Christ? Why wouldn't God want to protect her innocence? She would have to play the role of Mama in each and every person's life! The reason why Satan is so angry with Christians is because they try to follow Christ.. and Mary perfectly did it. Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God's commandments and bear witness to Jesus. (Revelation 12:17)

I'm starting to get it. I'm starting to have some sort of understanding as to why Jesus gives us His Mother to be our Mother. Why Jesus gives His Mother, His Bride. (John 19:26) Mysteries are pret-ty groovy.

No comments:

Post a Comment