Tuesday, May 12, 2009

REALITY, son.

Christians
by Maya Angelou


When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I'm clean livin'!'"
I'm whispering, "I was lost, now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say... "I am a Christian," I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble, and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak, and need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed, and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian," I'm not holier than thou.
I'm just a simple sinner, who received God's good grace, somehow!~



We have our share of fears, struggles, weaknesses. What makes us different is how we choose to live our lives. I live my life to follow Christ. How about you?

Anywhoo, someone once told me that "Christians just hide behind their religion and can't face reality on their own" I depend on God and I lift my problems up to Him; you can say that I hide behind Him. But that's because I don't like uncertainty. I don't like wondering about how I'm going to get past a situation alone.

But define REALITY. define REAL. I noticed that after retreats, we always say "once you get out into the real world..." (I know I've said it as well, and I just need to find the right word to replace it. =/) But there's uncertainty about God's existence in that statement. As if God is some fairytale. But hes as real as salty tears and childish laughter. Corny much? If anything, those who aren't living with God aren't living in reality. And how do I face this so-called "reality?" I deal with insults. I've suffered losses. I deal with the rest of society's opposing views. I still try my best to serve God one person at a time. You know, spare change for the homeless guy near Marketplace? Am I not facing reality because I pray? Don't mistake my hope for disillusion.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read one of your blogs in awhile. But I'm glad I read this one.

    "Don't mistake my hope for disillusion."
    Well said.

    Oh, and I liked your opening poem too. "Christians" by Maya Angelou.

    I hope you keep blogging. A lot of us can relate and it's nice to see how other Christians deal with their everyday struggles in life.

    ReplyDelete