Sunday, February 7, 2010

Melchizedek!

Alright alright! Greatt day, today. Went to 9:00 Mass @ St. Dominic's, ran errands with mommy, paid for my negative balance at Chase(-__-), went to FCJC EAST/WEST Gathering over at Walnut, made it to the end of the 5:30 Mass @ Holy Family.

I had an interesting time at St. Dominic's, though. It was just me and my mommy, and we were finally on time to a morning mass Pwahah. Anywho, the readings were the same from Bible Study, but I took notes anyway just to remind myself of Thursday's discussion. Again, I just want to reiterate that I've been studying up on Covenant & Salvation History these past couple of weeks, which is probably the reason why this blog may not make sense. Is it annoying? Haha.

Some background information on Melchizedek: He was a high priest in the Old Testament and the New Testament often refers to him.

Well during Offeratory, while a couple was bringing up the gifts (the bread and wine), I just remembered last night's lesson about Melchizedek, being a part of a royal priesthood and a chosen race.

The relationship between the two is that the latter was influenced greatly by the former. It was through Melchizedek's example (Plus Noah & God f'course), that New Testament writers can say that we are a royal priesthood and a chosen race, since everyone after Melchizedek followed his example as a priest and passed on Abraham's blessing (Genesis 14:19-20).

We are part of that! We are priests and we have received Abraham's blessing, and I came to that realization when that couple brought up the gifts, just as Melchizedek did (Genesis 14:18) and Jesus did. They just did something priestly by bringing up the gifts that will be offered at Mass! I don't know about you, but for me THIS IS AMAZING. I remember being hesitant when I was asked to bring the gifts up to the altar for the first time. Kuya Pat asked me and my dad to do it, and I was pretty scared. If only I knew at that time, maybe I would have treated it as an HONOR. Which goes back to that concept of "opus dei"... We sanctify our work! We can make things holy, in all that we do! From doing our homework, to doing chores... these are all gifts we can bring to the altar. Our DESK is our altar, our HOME is our altar. We bring it before God, and wow...

I hope anyone who comes across this and has questions will ask me. I honestly don't know why I wrote that. I don't know if I'll even be able to explain it correctly, but I'll do it to the best of my ability. Believe it!

God bless !

No comments:

Post a Comment