Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I need rhythm.


Just like that one verr difficult hump I had to get over to learn "River Flows in You," I've got another rhythmic challenge to face in "One" by Mr. Patrick Urgino on the keys.



Good news though! Sure, I'm rhythmically challenged when it comes to musical instruments, but I got a little bit of rhythm when it comes to the faith. Life will give me one rhythmic pattern, and I'll give it a different one that corresponds with it beautifully. Yeeeeee. I'm gonna show you that although my faith is tested, I will not conform to this age and I will no longer be ashamed when I get a little creative.


You're like...What the heck is she talking about?
I don't know either, don't ask :3

Well first off, I carry a Bible in my bag. The bag I take to school, to work, etc. Since I start school at 9, I come to school at 8:30 and have my devotional on the staircase, while the other students are in their first period. Anywho, just know that I use it. Haha.

So in Psychology I volunteered for this activity where me and another girl bring a purse of things we normally carry. The contents of each purse are listed and people have to write about what kind of person the owner of the bag is based on the list. So yesterday, when she told us we had to use our bags, I had a feeling that we were gonna do this activity. So out of shame, I took out the Bible from my bag and placed it under my Calculus book. We went outside and my teacher was explaining what the activity was (and I was right!!!) and she said something along the lines of: "If you have anything embarrassing (she was talking about female necessities), make sure you take it out before we present it to the class."

WHAT A BUMMER! So I found myself asking Am I really embarrassed about carrying a Bible around? I was disappointed in myself, but it seems as if God gave me a chance to redeem myself, because we were given a day to prepare. Today, our teacher showed the class what I had in my purse. When she pulled out the Bible, I told myself I would keep my head held high (There would be no sinking in seats or hiding behind desks). I got a few comments like "Why do you carry a Bible around?" and a lot of snickers and teasing when they found my abstinence cards ._. [Side note: I HATE when people look through my wallet. arghh! I didn't even know she was gonna look through it!]

But I learned something verr important: It's one thing to proclaim the faith to those who are familiar with it. But how do you find courage to proclaim it to everyone else?


I found my sense of rhythm today. I don't want to be ashamed of my God. I want to be courageous. At times, I'll be working against the tides of today's culture. But I hope more people find the funky rhythm inspiring. That more people find the beauty in the counter-culture.

2 comments:

  1. hello. i'm sorry for this random post, but i just wanted to tell you that your post touched me. when i was in high school, i too was a bit ashamed of my catholic faith in Christ. i know that high school can be a tough time for some people, especially when they want to spread the word of God. but thank God for people like you who continue to evangelize to those who need Jesus in their lives. Praise God for a young teenager like you whose faith is just up there! whatever struggles that you may face, just know that the Lord ALWAYS provides. and remember this--don't tell God how big your problems are, but tell your problems how big YOUR God is. God bless! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim it's Kuya Pat. I don't really know how I came across this site but I thank God I did, Keep up the good work and remember continue to Fight for our God and always keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete